Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Circling

 Progress, of a sort, today; I have health insurance finally, and I accepted a part-time position as a researcher with another agtech startup -- I was referred to the role by my former CEO at Pebble, and I think it would be good -- cash is nice, I hate being idle, I stay active in the industry, and I do like working in the field.  So there we are... it is not a full-time role, but it is something.  Hell, I have to pay for healthcare, and as I am still awaiting the $2500 in savings promised by Obamacare... Less happily, I spent about 2.5 hours trying to resolve my unemployment issue, and it was a complete waste of time -- bumped, empty lines, and of course I ended listening in on to someone's personal call, which was... almost entertaining.  I will try again tomorrow, but I do find it fascinating that when so many things can be handled online... this is NOT one of them.  Oi.

I have to admit, while there is something freeing in not watching J! (no need to see reruns), I also miss it -- it adds structure to the day, if you will, and it gave me a reason to be home.  Plus, I need to boost my brainpower, and what better way than America's favorite game show?  I guess when all else in my life is in a state of flux, there is now this, which I need like a hole in the head.  

Through the wonders of Netflix, I have been able to watch some of the pre-Code musicals of Lubitsch.  These films -- "The Love Parade," "The Smiling Lieutenant," and "One Hour With You" -- all have somewhat risque themes (pre-Code!) and while some of the jokes and attitudes are not terribly modern... the films are mostly humorous and of course there is the Lubitsch touch -- the camera work, the conveying of adult themes, the humor.  Those things are pretty timeless, and quite a few times I even snickered at how the various love affairs were shot.

Will There Ever Be an Apology for Covid Overreaction? – Chicago Boyz
Of course not!  I mean, I think there is something to be said for people acting in a certain way given the facts they had at the time, but...I think we now know that in many cases they were wrong.  That is the issue that divides people -- there has been no accountability at any time for those who were incorrect, not even the "dry up and blow away" school once prevalent in the US.  I know the GOP talks about this all the time but I don't think anyone (save for maybe DeSantis) would actually do anything about it, which is equally tragic.

The Misunderstood Reason Millions of Americans Stopped Going to Church (msn.com)
I guess I am not as concerned about this as others.  Ok, it is a concern, mainly because without people and volunteers, churches (and the services they provide) will collapse, and we are all the worse off.  On the other hand, as I so often say at the OC, eventually our clients will kill the goose with the golden eggs, and if they are too stupid to figure it out (I know they are mainly Hope and Changers)... as I like to say, there are plenty of non-white churches around, so go to them for help.  To say nothing of the fact that people will regret their non-churchiness if not in this life, the next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home