Thursday, September 14, 2023

A sense of adventure

 Good day today...started very early as we had an early pickup at the Greater Cleveland Food Bank, and I went along to see how that operates.  Our pickup was earlier than usual -- 7:30 -- but I was assured that they would have it at 7:45, so we arrived at that time.  The new GCFB site is...well, I wouldn't say it is Versailles, but it is... very nice for what is basically a warehouse of canned goods.  And, humorously, our order was NOT ready, as they were running behind.  Equally humorously, I bumped into the manager of the SVDP food pantries on the West Side, so we talked a bit, and then I saw a familiar face in another loading dock -- the Lake/Geauga President of SVDP.  We then talked a bit about business and such, which was... well, good.  Serendipitous knowledge is in some ways the best.  Anyways, most of my order arrived (5 of the 7 things came through, a sadly usual ratio) and then we went to shop in the Marketplace area; all of that is free, but it could be anything, and it is mixed... anyways, they didn't have that much, but I scrounged some needed items (we are short on meat).  Then it was back to the OC to unload, a side trip to Kinsman Aldi (no one had went; we were short-handed, and I think they were bsing), and... we were done.  

Then it was off to drop off stuff for a friend on the West Side, and then home, where I had a flurry of calls and emails to attend to... which was fine, actually.  Just took a boatload of time, and of course, this means more meetings and such next week (which, honestly, is also fine).  I skipped the gym (maybe all that hauling crap counted, or maybe it's a rest day) but took a nice long stroll after dinner...which caused some low blood sugar.  Sigh.

Is it me, or are the questions for the second chance tournament on J! slightly easier than average?  Not sure if this is due to the nature of the tournament, or the fact that they are using leftover questions, but... mind you, I think the Final J! questions are fine -- I knew both answers today, of course, because I am a nerd.  But, the regular questions are a bit soft.

GOP Senator Josh Hawley channels his inner AOC with new nanny-state credit card proposal - Based Politics (based-politics.com)
Methinks they protest too much.  For one, the new modern GOP is more populist and is less beholden to theory.  Second... this article forgets that in many cases consumers do NOT have the choices to use something other than a credit card to finance their lives, especially the lower quartile of the population.  This to me is smart -- a lower percentage would be better and really go after the banks -- and while I am not sure it will gain that much traction, it shows that we are trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home