Thursday, August 27, 2026

Mattie is back

Long week.  Sigh.  And, one of my coworkers -- our Research Associate -- was let go today.  I feel badly for her -- a lot was on her plate, and she was trying to do that and learn the business of building products.  I mean, I understand, and the housing market is not good, but...  

Couple of days ago I dummied into a Creationism podcast on Youtube, and of course I had to listen.  It was...interesting.  Like, there is a lack of funding for Creation Science, a bunch of these guys want to go to Alaska to see if there is any DNA in the bones there, and that all the coprolites are evidence for Young Earth Creationism (the only kind!).  OK...But then it took an interesting turn; they discussed the Curse of Ham and how some groups -- especially on the right -- are using it to spread hate and racism.  I really paid attention here, because one so rarely hears this sort of thing, but they were quite animated about it; the Curse of Ham is NOT a racist trope -- and nor should real Christians partake.  Rather, the Curse is about those who turn from God.  Honestly, I had not heard such a strident denunciation of this -- and from a right-leaning site, if you will -- that I almost want to listen to another.

The moon disappeared!  I have been going out intermittently to check the eclipse, and it was one thing to see it in part, but it is completely different to not see the moon at all (even with the clouds).  Reminded me of the Totality during the solar eclipse, even if it was not quite so jarring...but still cool.

Getting Ahead Has Never Been Easy - A Wealth of Common Sense
I have seen the site referenced a couple of places, and there is something to be said -- that was once rare is now commonplace, and what was once a luxury, even poor people can enjoy - I always get a kick out of the large TVs you see when doing home visits (prolly rented at exorbitant rates, too).  Nothing like a bit of financial education couldn't cure...
What’s Cool in High School? Personal Finance - WSJ
Ask and you shall receive!  More seriously, this is good, even if for some people, it may as well be Greek...
Trump changed Republican economics. Now the GOP has to figure out how to sell it. - POLITICO
Dare I say that the combo of tariffs and the Iran War makes this...impossible?  I mean, the man would have a compelling case without both, and with one you can make an argument, but now...

Polynesian Wayfinding: How these sailors navigated the open Pacific with no compass or GPS
This is awesome, and if I had the stones, I would do the same...

‘There’s no real rules’ for NIL agents. And some like it that way - The Athletic
The whole time I was reading this article, I was like... isn't that the point?  I mean, there should be some rules, but it is not like the college coaches (ahem, Lane Kiffin) seem to operate with any, so why shouldn't everyone else do the same?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home