Saturday, April 12, 2014

Honesty

OC duty today, and there was some funny shit...I had these two tricycles that someone gave me, so I took them down.  As I was pulling them out, one of our clients -- a loud type, if you get my drift -- asked me for them so she could give them to her twins.  I was like, sure, just don't let everyone else know, and of course, she began yelling across the parking lot to whoever else she was with.  Anyways, a little while later, we had the garage open to unload some stuff, so of course it was open city, and one other client asked to use the bathroom, and pulled me aside...here, of course, the Mother of Twins had given the trikes to her friend, who walked them down to the scrap yard, and peddled them for $3.  Of course, client number #2 mention that client #1 was, um, African-American (but didn't phrase it like that), and of course, added some other choice bits.  I told the guy that we didn't know it for sure, and we couldn't judge them, and I added (for good measure) that white people were just as dishonest.  I really didn't want to tell the guy the trikes looked crappy, and the thought did cross my mind that the scrapyard was where I should take them (our petty cash is low, and our cleaning fits have taken a toll on the budget), but decided against it. 

The main thing here is that this is the sort of thing that really pisses off volunteers -- and then they go back and tell everyone, and people then start not donating, and it snowballs -- which is bad for everyone.  I realize our clients have to hustle, but...well, let's just say that when people are accused of turning their backs on the poor, I have to say "I don't blame them."

The Tribe is really playing like crap, but all I can say is, I don't think we will hearing about the ace-sized contract for Justin Masterson for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home