Thursday, April 23, 2015

All Grown Up

Watching the snow come down this AM, all I could think was...Behold the settled science of global warming!  Well, not really.  On the science part, that is.

Watched two films over the past two days -- yesterday was "Boyz in the Hood" and today was "The Buffalo Creek Flood:  An Act of Man."  I liked the first -- it had everyone in it, I noted -- and the second was also...well, it was a documentary about a flood that killed 100 or so people...so while it was not enjoyable, it was...interesting.  Given it was made in the early 1970s, it was sort of groundbreaking, as well.

I was discussing with a friend the fact that Gilmour hired a female fundraiser as their new president..I  was of course full of snark that a Catholic school would be so...commercial; my friend told he didn't know Gilmour was Catholic, given its...well, swank facilities.  I got a kick out of this; while not all Catholic schools are as swank as Gilmour...most of them are certainly pretty nice (especially the constant poverty plead to by the Mother Church).  I couldn't hep but think my friend -- who calls me Carson -- was like that himself.  Catholicism in this country isn't what it was in the 1960s, a working class religion concentrated in the urban centers trying to find a better life for its members.  The Church -- like many of its people -- has made it, and is now a middle-class religion, especially in its locations (the suburbs), its facilities (swank schools), and quest for more money to keep goals one and two alive....   Not that I blame them, of course, but it does seem to go...off-message, if you will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home