Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Notes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2016/01/25/atlantic-citys-mr-fix-it/

I've said this before, but the main problem is that NO politician can fix Atlantic City.  The town was founded on gambling at a time when there was really only one other place to gamble.. now, of course, I can gamble at three places within ten miles of my home.  Vegas has that problem, but they've been able to morph into Sin City, and, also, as a place to, you know, vacation.  For whatever reason -- and I suspect winter is the problem -- AC can't.  Oops.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-01-25/cruz-hating-republicans-need-a-reality-check

I think this is largely correct; people hate Cruz not because of what he is, but because of what he might do...which might just be the sort of conservatism we want, like smaller government and pro-growth policies and such.  Much like Christianity has not been tried and found wanting but found to be difficult and left untried, the Establishment -- which does not have a record to boast of, if you get my drift -- prefers the same old.  Alas, alack.

I see the Tribe signed Josh Tomlin for two years.  I found this interesting, given that they now have six starters for five spots.  To be sure, Anderson has options, and a K rate of less than 4.5/nine, while Tomlin had 57 Ks on 65-2/3 IP.  Tomlin also gave up 13 HRs in that time (Anderson was 9/91ish).  I guess they are both somewhat fourth-starterish, and given the rotation depth, that is good, but I am not sure it is worth seeing it to 2017.  I also noted that my old fave Tim Lincecum is still unsigned.  There is no place for him here, and I suspect that a team looking for a fourth starter might be the spot, save for the fact that he wants front-rank pay.  I would have thought him a Pirate long ago -- replacing Burnett, taking advantage of Seerage and a pitcher-friendly park, but I suspect the Bucs see him as a rental, and he does not...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home