Thursday, July 14, 2016

Around again

More not blogging....mainly due to work, which has been and will be...unpleasant for the next week or so.  Ugh.  But we will survive.

I've watched two more films on the list -- "Meet Me in St. Louis" and "The Life of Emile Zola."  The first was a musical...so you can imagine what I felt.  The second I liked -- it was Paul Muni (he is really quite good) and it was brief/accurate telling of the Dreyfus case.  Up to 433... mainly advancing through Netflix right now.

Went to the Our Lady of Mount Carmel fest today; good stuff as always even if I am stuffed like pig (without the 10 million people at the Feast).  Anyways...I parked in front of a house with a "Make America Great Again" sign and saw a few more while looking for a space.  I realize that the three or four blocks around the place are Trump territory, if you will, but...I've NEVER seen ANY GOP stuff ANYWHERE around there.  Ever.  Anecdotes are not evidence...but I wonder, especially after the Quinnipiac polls showing a tighter race.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/the-dark-side-of-american-soccer-culture/ar-BBug0Lt?li=BBnba9I

This amused the fuck out of me.  First, I really don't think that Trump supporters are...well, MLS goers, if you get my drift.  Second...notice the old liberals aren't really racist approach...and third...I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me if soccer fans in the US who are white are clannish/somewhat racist.  Soccer in this country is a sport mainly for upper class white kids who mainly...live and play with other white kids.  In Latin America, it is the sport of the poor, but in the US, that would be....basketball?  Football?

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/07/cleveland_heights-university_h_1.html#incart_river_index

This also amused the hell out of me...mainly because they seemed to miss the obvious point -- that white parents who live in CH don't really send their kids to schools there.  (This was certainly true personally for me; not until I was 24 did I meet a white CH-UH grad.)  I am sure some of these people are Catholics/Jews who send their kids to religious schools...but I suspect some other -- dare I say traditionally Democratic -- reason is at play...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home