Monday, February 27, 2017

Turning

Since I prolly won't be blogging tomorrow night, I may as well do it now...also, Lent is almost upon us...hard to believe.  Not that it snuck up on us, but...well, it hardly feels the time, in a way.  Of course, a little sackcloth and ashes at any time of the year is a good thing.

Crossed two more films off the list:  "The Negro Soldier," a 1944 war film showing the importance of African-American efforts to the war effort, and (nostalgia), a 1971 avant-garde film which was...well, extremely avant-garde, if you get my drift.  This gets me to 534, which is...well, progress, if nothing else.

One of my coworkers was complaining about "Moonlight;" mainly that it won and the subject matter.  I pointed out that last year we had a white coming of age film -- "Boyhood," I think -- and that at least the reviews were good (for the record, "Moonlight" is like 15 in the Netflix queue; I want to finish "Justified" and of course there are NFR selections...).  Also, more film diversity in the awards (not that I watched, of course!) is good...  Since this coworker was one of the few more conservative than I am at the office...well, everyone had a good chuckle at my new and progressive stance.

I was sort of amused by the blowback from Kim Mulkey's speech; I mean, I suspect that yes, slugging people in the face is bad.  That said, I suspect she is not completely wrong in saying other colleges don't have the issues BU does (PSU comes to mind); they've had it at Colorado, KU and Creighton hoops have been clouded by allegations, and of course OSU (Stillwater) and the hostess thing... I just wonder how many other schools (pre-Baylor) would have stonewalled away if something came up in the football program; honestly, I think a lot would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home