Saturday, February 03, 2018

Imitation

Work has been super busy, so there I have been, not blogging... alas.  I also, for the first time in my life -- as part of the work soup cookoff, made a roux for the first time...I think it went ok, but I was surprised at how hard it was to get it right...  very nerve-wracking.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-02/election-analysts-di`scover-even-more-white-voters

This could be me, but are we really surprised by these sorts of headlines anymore? I would imagine that just as Barack Obama as a candidate boosted up the minority, the reverse -- Donald Trump, who actively campaigned on behalf of the forgotten man, if you will, would bring out more of the white, working class? 

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/1/27/16935382/climate-change-ugly-tradeoffs

This amused me, one because people in the Northeast use a lot of heating oil, which is a hell of a lot less green than natural gas (or anything else)...and two, because, well, I'll believe it when I see it, and I have not.

Up to 623 on the NFR with the viewing of "Imitation of Life," the 1959 version starring Lana Turner.  I liked the 1934 version better -- I can identify with a hard-charging businesswoman more than a Broadway actress, of course -- but the more recent film was better...  of course, the newer film could not have been made in 1934, but the newer one, I think, was a much better at... well, the social question of the day, to say nothing of the fact that it was more about two women, whereas the other one was about women trying to make their way to the top..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home