Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Moving On and Up

You know, I am surprised -- ok, not that surprised -- the Pirates are making the trades they do.  They're not really making a killing, and while they are saving money, I don't think the returns are all that high...  the Giants are being gerontology-minded, as always, while the Astros...well, it was a very good move for them, adding to a rotation that challenges... ours.  I wonder more about the McCutheon deal in SF, odd to see how he reacts to the ballpark, defensively.

Upto 614 on the film list, having watched "What's Opera, Doc?" and "So's Your Old Man" this weekend.  The first is a Bugs Bunny short; the second, a W.C. Fields silent from the 20s... sort of funny, actually; his humor, situational comedy, and some digs at well, pretension.  I could see it being made today; not sure who the lead would be, but there is a lot about the story that is sort of...timeless.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/11/16878316/shitty-media-men-list-katie-roiphe-moira-donegan

I don't know... I immediately thought of this story when I read this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/nov/04/harvard-men-soccer-team-season-lewd-rankings-female-players

I mean, no, they aren't that similar, but... a secret list, if you will, got out, and the creators were unable to handle the backlash.  And, in the first case... well, I can see people getting miffed about it; it is the sort of thing that is ideal for revenge -- plant an accusation and see what happens...to say nothing of due process.  More to the point, as with most things...that which should be hidden should always stay hidden...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home