Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Down and Up

I was surprised by the government shutdown, but... I mean, I think the Dems could have gotten that deal any time without shutting down and taking a hit (I don't think it is that bad for them, optics aside, but you get the drift).  I mean, DACA seems to be what everyone wants, more or less, and if in turn you trade that for a wall that is likely to never really be built... I don't know, you take that and go home.  Now, with this and the taxes, the GOP might be able to save that House majority...  depending on any number of other things, of course.

Up to 618 on the film list -- watched "Where Are My Children?," a silent film about... abortion and birth control of all things, cleverly wrapped with a discussion of eugenics.  Interesting, given the time and the subject.  Also watched was "Hail The Conquering Hero," a Preston Sturges film from 1944... I don't want to give away the plot, but it was interesting and mildly humorous in its own right.  Finally,  I saw "Within Our Gates," an African-American film from 1920... also interesting given its portrayal as the anti "Birth of the Nation" of its time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home