Saturday, December 05, 2020

Refreshed

 I had planned on hitting the 1000 post mark by Xmas, if not the end of the year, but these little absences will make it harder for me to hit my goal.  I just crashed at 10:30  yesterday and -- after a wakeup at 2 due to low blood sugar -- I woke up at 9. On the one hand, I do feel rested; on the other, I definitely feel as if I missed out on things... I think shoveling did take a lot out of me; almost four hours but the driveway is clear.  Hit the gym yesterday for the first time in a while -- legs -- and whoa. I did do the 18 minutes of cardio that I had wanted; I think adding 3 more minutes per day might not be the worst thing, especially after the exhaustion of shoveling... to say nothing of the reading time.

I am reading The Allure of Battle now; it's written by a UK historian who looks at military history through the prism of battles - mainly that they are seldom decisive (at least totally so) but generals tend to want to fight them in the hope that they are.  The tone is actually mournful, looking at the game of the kings through the prism of men who fight the battles and suffer the losses.  Interesting.

Thursday night "Employees Entrance" was on TCM, so I watched it (739!)... it's a pre-code film about well, a businessman and his lack of scruples.  It's very dark; I need to watch it again to get all of the fine points I think I missed, but it is...well, relevant?  I mean, the main character/villain is straight from Harvey Weinstein, and considering that the character type was more prominent then than now (one hopes)... not that I didn't like the film, but it defies easy characterization...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home