Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Up Late!

So, last night I did indeed stay up til 3 watching some of the new releases from the National Film Registry. I am off today, burning off a vacation day, so I was able to sleep in til 9:20 or so, which was...fine?  I felt pretty good, more or less, during the night last night...  anyways, brief film recaps!

"The Battle of the Century" (745)  This is a 1927 short from Laurel and Hardy; the story of its preservation is the big one; most of it was lost until a few years, when reels with 95% of it were found in a private archive, and they were able to save the film.  It's pretty funny -- who doesn't love a giant cream pie fight - and this is the sort of thing I love about silent films; it's overacting, nut it's well done, and we don't really notice it...
"Lilies of the Field" (746) I rather liked this one....Sidney Poitier is traveling workman who builds a chapel for barely assimilated nuns in the middle of the desert. Given what was going on in the world at the time...the context is there, of course, but also it's an interesting tale... mainly, two widely divergent people come together to build something. 
"Illusions" (747) Interesting novella-length film; shot in the 80s but set in WWII Hollywood, it deals with a woman "passing" for white to advance her career, and the challenges of keeping that secret while dealing with the racism and sexism of the time.  I liked it, sort of... it was a little slow at times, but it was a unique way of looking at the period through that prism.
"The Joy Luck Club" (748) I read this book in college, and the movie...oi.  Didn't like it; much like, say, "Grease," I can see why it was culturally significant, but...the plot can be described as Chinese mothers treat their daughters shittily across generations.
"Cabin in the Sky" (749).  All-black musical from 1943.  Thankfully, it wasn't that musically... anyways, I liked it in the this is interesting way....  for one thing, as we know, this movie probably wasn't seen everywhere, if you get my drift...two, there was a war going on, and they referenced it in some clever ways... odd, too, because in some ways, the stuff is...not 2020-approved, but at the time... the NAACP, for instance, approved of the film...

Ok, this is me, but this is where the GOP is missing something; the party has olenty of people who can write checks...so buy these distressed assets, if you will, and put them to work...for our side.  I suspect that at the end of the day... if people want to be journalists, they will do so, even if it means swallowing a shit sandwich and investigating Democrats....

This sort of thing annoys me; as I have gotten older, one thing about which I am completely concerned is that the courts exist to inhibit democracy; here, in this case, they've a created a mechanicism by which you can never have justice....which is not what the justice system is for, in my opinion...

I think is largely correct, and the idea -- floated by many right-wing bloggers -- that the Dems would NOT do the same -- is also largely correct...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home