Thursday, February 18, 2021

Rolling along

 So...I was planning on blogging yesterday, but I got tired and decided that discretion was the better part of valor and went to bed.  I then slept in past the alarm...oi.  I did burn through some links, which was good, and a couple of articles, and also finally finished the 1,000-page Holocaust book.  It was not exactly a fun read, of course, but it was interesting and informative.  Certainly, the flip side to the Allied military effort was their inability to stop the slaughter.  To be sure, I think the larger point -- that only Allied victory could end it -- is true, but I also think that other efforts -- bombing of camps and train lines, supply drops to Jewish partisans, aid to the Resistance, even taking more Jews in -- could have been tried.

One thing I have been working on is the house.  Monday I have people coming in to install a sump pump and solve the intermittent water in the basement problem, so in consequence I have had to move all the stuff out of the way (done), clean out the shop and storage cabinets (done), and then today I had to remove the shelves (plywood) from the bottom half of the unit.  The assurance that they would easily come out was, of course, untrue, so I had to buy a power saw and remove them.  It was a little daunting, to be sure, and it took a brief while to get the hang of it, but in the end I cut through everything and carted the remnants upstairs to the trash can.  Oi.  It did feel good getting it done myself without removing body parts, in all honesty.  But, once they are done...I will need to replace the shelves and put everything back.

The Tribe signed Oliver Perez on a minor-league deal today (I bet he makes the team).  I was surprised he was out there.  Yes, with his age there is a worry, and he has been declining, and the three-batter rule hasn't helped, but... it's not like he was ineffective last year, and he can certainly hold his own against righties.  I suspect the general deflation of salaries hurt him like everyone else, but I am not sure it is warranted in this case...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home