Saturday, February 13, 2021

Mattie Makes Soup

 I had wanted to post yesterday, but discretion got the best of me -- despite a late cup of coffee -- so I conked out a little after 11 and did NOT set the clock; the late wake up is a bit troubling to me, but...  

Made split pea soup yesterday; mysister gave me a ham remnant (they don't do leftovers, imagine that!) and I figured I could use it, as I love the soup. It was going fairly well, until I decided that it was too watery, so I added some corn starch and some flour (and I didn't sift them, because I figured stirring would settle it).  Then, I stupidly answered a call, and forgot about it...til I wandered to the kitchen and detected a slight burning odor.  Oi.  I saved the soup -- it's not bad, more of a burny umber odor, and by adding salt, pepper, and some garlic powder (the recipe called for the whole stuff, which I should use, given its health properties), it mainly masks it.  Worse, my expectation failed, so the flour and corn starch clumped together, forming a series of biscuit-like balls.  Lesson learned (aside from not cooking).

https://www.newyorker.com/books/second-read/the-uneasy-afterlife-of-a-confederacy-of-dunces?mbid=social_facebook&utm_social-type=paid&utm_brand=tny&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&kwp_0=1853131&kwp_4=5434716&kwp_1=2327709&fbclid=IwAR0caA_DjIWg57xn0j2ORmPSXMsFJhOMe1QG1MMa5SCaww28HuDehe7UE44

I don't know; I rather liked the book.  I suspect the writer, like most liberals, takes things WAY too seriously (such as going back to the 1350s), and instead of enjoying things as they are... oi. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/nick-jonass-super-bowl-ad-raises-important-questions-some-are-uncomfortable/ar-BB1duPCG?li=BBnb7Kz

I think I would have rather them spent the money on fixing their often cantanerous and unhelpful monitoring system, which I find more problematic than anything else, but that is me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home