Sunday, December 19, 2021

Labors of Love

 Busy day today; after Mass I was graciously recruited to help out with the Wigilia at the Polish-American Cultural Center.  It was nice, albeit a little long -- they were a bit short of volunteers at the end for the cleanup, so I stayed around to help with that, but it worked out ok, especially as I  now have several days of leftovers (all of which are quite good).  Funny; didn't realize how tired I was until after I had gotten home; I even nodded off a bit in the chair... to be sure, I am not yet recovered from Friday night, when I stayed up to watch some of the additions to the National Film Registry on TCM.

That went fairly well, actually.  I watched three of the films on the list:  "Sounder," the drama from the 1970s about a black family of sharecroppers in the South (interesting; powerful ending, and of course, the subject matter, especially for the time).  This was followed by "Chicana," a short from the 70s about Latino women and their history in North America.  They aired "Strangers on a Train," which I watched again (remind me not to go on a merry-go-round anytime soon), which was followed by "The Watermelon Woman," an interesting film about a woman trying to find out more about an early star of "race films," or black cinema.  To be sure, the last film was written by an African-American lesbian, so it came from that perspective, which in some ways made it less interesting, and others, more.  Anyways, with those three, I am up to 778 on the list.  Rah.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/19/manchin-biden-agenda-competence-campaign-promise-525623

Haha.  Now, this could be me, but did anyone actually believe these claims of competence?  I mean, Democrats did, and the press, but they are idiots, and no one should take them seriously, either.  Or, better yet (not that you will see this), does anyone go around asking these people why they believed it in the first place, and whether or not they do so now, despite the evidence to contrary?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home