Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Back from the Respite

 So, no blogging yesterday; a friend of mine was driving cross-country (he has a wife and kids, won't fly) so he decided to stay with me...this was fine; we hung out, grabbed dinner, and crashed early (missed the Duke loss, not a bad thing).  It was funny, today, we were both working and typing up a storm, like nothing had changed, just that we were in our jammies, rather than in the office.  Then he was off and I had some stuff to do...  good workout, as well.

Watched "The Flying Ace" today; it's a silent "race film" from 1926, loosely inspired by Bessie Coleman.  I'd heard of it, tried to watch it before it was added to the National Film Registry but the DVD was bad. I ordered the film from somewhere else and it managed to play.  It's not bad; you can tell they didn't go in the air for some of the scenes, and it does check the boxes for 1920s drama, but it is interesting, held your attention, and featured an all-Black cast, with both positive and negative roles, even.  I rather liked it.  This brings me to 783 on the NFR...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jeopardy-show-winning-run-amy-schneider-11642303319?mod=hp_lead_pos13

I sort of like the box scores; I mean, yes, look what sabremetrics has done to baseball, but I really think J! fans love this sort of thing.  The buzz-in percentage is impressive, sometimes it can be hard to tell (unless they are measuring from the podium).  Certainly, I know they go back on J! archive with some of this, and this puts everything right in your fingertips...

https://www.self.com/story/anti-fatness-fitness?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Interesting; some of this I agree with, and some of this...well, as I like to say, everyone in America, on average, needs to lose 10 pounds. True; one does not see a lot of not-fit people at the gym.  That, of course, should change, though I can also see how it is daunting to start. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/progressives-must-reckon-with-the-school-closing-catastrophe.html#comments

This is the third article I have read in the past week castigating everyone for school closures... of course, when the left has lost Jonathan Chait...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home