Saturday, April 30, 2022

Full of Vim and Vigor

 Normally I don't post again so soon, but so much to say today!

I am reading Milk, by Mark Kurlansky, and I like it.  He writes all sorts of books like this -- I enjoyed Cod and Salt -- because he not only discusses the history of these things, and the role they play in societies, but he also looks at the cultural stuff.  Each book he includes all sorts of period recipes, as they not only look at how people cook, but what they eat, and what it says about the time...which is a cool way to look at it.  He has a couple of more I should check out, like I have time to read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/us/politics/ron-desantis-florida-politics.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20220429&instance_id=59889&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=31060267&segment_id=90722&user_id=f914b0e213c5e2b4265494b6d07fe88f

Interesting, but being the NYT, they are missing something...namely, his policies are more popular than what an NYT reader, or the critics in the article, seem to get... if you think about it, a lot of the recent population growth in Florida has been from people fleeing the COVID response elsewhere; this is a conscious choice to pack up and move to hurricane heaven, and I suspect a lot of people either shed their crappy politics on the way...or weren't attached to them in the first place.  This makes CA and NY blue, but if it crosses FL off the battleground state list...I can live with that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/opinion/jd-vance-senate.html#commentsContainer

I never thought I would see something like this in the NYT, honestly.  Dare I say it is...fair and balanced?  Almost sympathetic?  Again, I think the main thrust of the argument goes over the head of the NYT reader, but he notes that Vance -- like Trump -- caught at something, the palpable anger and distress of those left behind.  One hopes Vance -- who was actually on that track -- is more able to do something about it.

https://thereformedbroker.com/2022/04/26/ten-immediate-twitter-fixes-for-elon-musk/

Most of these make sense.  I just started using Twitter for work -- and thus my account is ONLY for work -- but I do surf other peoples' sites, and I can see how most of these things would be of use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home