Tuesday, October 25, 2022

A Changing of the Guard

I have a confession to make:  I am not a fan of the Second Chance Tournament on J! right now.  For one, I prefer -- generally -- new people getting their own chances to become J! stars, rather than bringing back new people (of course, if they asked me back, I would go in a heartbeat).  More seriously, this could be me, but I am not sure that these people deserve a spot in the TOC.  It's an honor and a privilege to be in one, and I am not sure winning a few games against other fellow non-winners is quite the same as piling up a bunch of wins in real J! (or a tournament).  Just not that impressed with what I am seeing so far... I wonder what everyone else thinks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/22/opinion/joe-biden-midterms.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20221022&instance_id=75430&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=31060267&segment_id=110825&user_id=f914b0e213c5e2b4265494b6d07fe88f
I think this is exactly correct (Douthat often is), and while I feel badly that this happened...well, we all saw it coming.  Certainly, the people who caused this will never have to answer for it, which is a problem.

I watched an interesting film today, "One Man Out."  British film from the 1940s, about an IRA man (James Mason), injured, on the run after committing a robbery gone wrong.  I thought it would be "The Informer" meets "D.O.A," but... it was not.  Most of the action is how people react to this wanted criminal showing up unexpectedly -- you can get in trouble with the cops and the IRA, and in consequence no one really wants anything to do with him.  Interesting; James Mason was in it, and I think he was a good fit for the role.

More sadly, my VCR/DVD combo -- my gift to myself in 2005 -- is on its last legs.  The CD player barely works, and now I cannot get the VCR to work, which is a shame... I always preferred the VCR (more durable), and one could always find older stuff in the medium.  That, and I have a small library of films on tape which I could (but don't want to) convert, to say nothing of all sorts of family stuff.  Not sure if I can get it fixed, not sure I want to buy a new one, given all the other stuff I have been buying (or will).  Oi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home