Monday, October 17, 2022

Victory, Preferable to Death

 Glorious day today.. well, the usual, more or less.  But tonight some of Team Eleven went downtown to Parnell's to play Pub Quiz... quick; 30 questions, 6 theme rounds of five.  I have to admit, I was a little skeptical going with the weather... it's a bit brisk and wet out there, but, like Kari Lake, I am "Pub Quiz anytime, anywhere," so off we went.  No food, but a Bombay Sapphire and tonic (I deserve it, I lied to myself) and we were good to go...and we won!  Narrow, half-point win, but... we will take it.  (My knowledge of the periodic table helped us get a perfect final round to seal the deal, always a good thing.)  And it was fun -- like I need a reason to escape the house.  Anyways, we all decided to dine afterwards, so off to Hofbrau Haus... 

I had never been.  It was good... huge place; I had heard it was, didn't quite get the scope of it, though.  Menu was broad and had a lot of interesting choices.  I had a chicken sausage and pretzel dish; the sausage came in this large bowl of water (poached), which was visually impressive, but a bit...superfluous.  The sausage was just ok, but the pretzel and the honey mustard sauce were off the charts.  Bit pricey, though.  We liked it, though; I can see us going back -- to both -- soon.

Anyways, yesterday I watched "A New Leaf," a film from the 70s starring Walter Matthau and Elaine May...basically, playboy marries rich heiress intending to kill her, falls in love with her instead.  It was quite good; to be sure, the plot appealed to my sense of humor.  Matthau isn't quite the suave leading man (I think) but he was quite funny, as was May.  Sort of a period piece, but amusing enough.  797 down on the National Film Registry...

Broke down and turned on the furnace (snow?  now?), but I forgot to switch the filter, so I am sure dust is in every corner of the home.  Oops.

https://www.commentary.org/articles/rob-long/late-night-television-conservatives-liberals/

Interesting.  And, dare I say...largely correct!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home