Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Travels and Travails

 You know, I am not exactly feeling better... in some ways, worse; my throat is a bit sore.  To be sure, I only got 7 hours of sleep last night; must do better today.  Lots to do, of course, even if today I mainly worked and caught up on the sitting stuff -- emails, some texts (still have some people I last messaged last week), and some links.  I am always surprised at how, much like Michael Corleone, no matter how hard I try to get out, something pulls me back in.  At least food pantry duty is done for the year, save for any pickups, deliveries, and etc.   

https://fee.org/articles/why-sam-bankman-friedman-sounded-so-much-like-a-rand-villain/

I hadn't thought of this right away, mainly because it has been a while since I have read Atlas Shrugged; it should be required yearly reading, but it is a bit of a slog (especially at the end) and there are so many other books to read.  But the comparison does work...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/wolstein-center-has-been-a-money-eating-monster-new-csu-arena-is-needed-terry-pluto/ar-AA14kn86?ocid=hponeservicefeed&cvid=d60c7f03babe41189c8e9d10bb187389

Interesting.  One, I had no idea the building was 30 years old, which is sort of old (not really) for arenas nowadays.  Two, the timing issue... well, not sure you can blame them for that, but... this could be me, but one would think they would have been a bit more aggressive in booking events since Day One, especially after the Gateway complex went up; not every show needs 20,000 fans.   I mean, I am sure they tried, but...  I guess I am not opposed to adding more housing downtown (even if it is student housing), as it might better in the long run to create a campus district.  OSU is a campus complex, but downtown Kent is quite nice (very student integrated) and UA seems to be nice...sort of.  I would argue that if CSU can get to Akron status (and I would be surprised), they should be wetting their pants.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democratic-senate-loss-in-ohio-raises-bar-for-sherrod-brown-in-2024/ar-AA14k624?cvid=d60c7f03babe41189c8e9d10bb187389

As I have said before...awesome as this would be, I will believe it when I see it.

I had to go to the credit union today, so I went to the branch in Macedonia...and I ended up doing some shopping there, because all of the stores I wanted to hit were close together.  On the one hand, it's pretty awesome; the taxes are lower and you can get all the plastic bags you want/need.  On the other....getting there is a pain -- with the glacially slow sewer construction on 82, right before the bridge they tried to blow up --  and getting out was worse.  It took four light cycles for me to get to Riverview and thus the long way home (to Greenleaf and then Fitzwater), and given how this project is supposed to last for months...either I need to investigate alternate crossings or I will be pulling out the few hairs I have left.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home