Thursday, March 09, 2023

First Loser

 Late night, I guess.  Tonight was Pub Quiz out on the East Side, and we came in...second.  Alas, alack; biggest loser.  It was fun (mostly) and good to see Team XI again.  I did get a couple pull-it-out-of-my-ass questions correct which kept us in contention, so I cannot complain.  More seriously... going there is pretty much how I went to work at Freedonia every day, and while driving there -- with much less traffic -- I couldn't help but reflect upon how little I miss of it -- the work, the drive, the grind... the people were fairly nice, to be sure, but I cannot help but look at my life now and compare it to then... well, there really is no comparison.  Hell, I got a card from the CEO today thanking me for my recent work -- I received my company's award for resilience, and while I am simply doing my job... it is nice to be thought of positively and rewarded for it.  And, in the all's well with the world category, Team XI did mock me a couple of times for my politics, and the conservative members of the team mocked them for not knowing about the magic of "Gutfeld!"

https://gizmodo.com/grindr-data-track-gay-priests-catholic-laity-clergy-1850207618
Am I missing something here?  I realize this is gizmodo, and yes, the technological/tracking implications are a bit scary, but... as we all know, Catholic priests take a vow of celibacy (and thus chastity); furthermore, the Church has rather strict (for now) teachings about homosexual behavior.  Expecting priests to try and live up to them -- and calling them out when they do not -- seems more than appropriate, in all honesty.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/in-accusing-cardinal-mcelroy-of-heresy-bishop-paprocki-was-aiming-higher/ar-AA18q8D9?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=afbb296523e342e9b0024d554e77b3f9&ei=28

I have been following this story a little more closely...  First of all, I am shocked, shocked, that a Jesuit and Son of Erin is doing a merry jig along the line of heresy, while a wonderful Polish bishop is asserting the traditional teachings of the One True Faith.  Second... this could be more, but Paprocki is correct there; there is open discussion of issues, but it must remain that... once, of course someone starts promulgating that which is not in the Catechism (like it or not), corrective actions must be taken.  

So, they had the Big Ten Tournament on at the restaurant during the PQ (finally, a higher seed beat a lower one, though it would have been embarrassing for a team to have lost to Minnesota), and they displayed a graphic that indicated the Big Ten would have nine teams in the Big Dance.  I don't know; I realize there are plenty of advanced metrics they consider in addition to wins and losses, but... to me, nine teams in a conference -- five or six in the 7 to 11 lines -- means you have a bunch of teams beating up on each other, and that does not exactly mean that you should put them ALL in the tournament.  I realize this is part of the continuing plan to screw mid-majors out of spots, and the NCAA is completely fine with this, which is another reason why we need to go after them as well.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home