Monday, March 13, 2023

Ragtime

 Finally filled out ALL the pools -- multiple men's brackets, and of course the women's bracket, followed by the NIT and the CBI.  Yes, we have immense bragging rights.  Different winners for each one; indeed, different paths all around.  Funny; I have followed college sports less in the past couple of years, but tournament time there I am, catching up with reckless (or feckless) abandon.  Very odd, all I can say.

Is it me, or the fact that the President has yet to visit East Palestine, but had time to bail out a Silicon Valley bank...well, methinks the optics are quite poor, in my humble opinion.  Yes, I understand the rationale for the bank bailout, but every GOPer should be making ads on this -- millionaires get their money back (to say nothing of the Barney Frank connection; always good for mockery) while the people of East Palestine suffer.  To be sure, for some on the other side, this is a feature and not a bug...

So, I was checking the TCM listings for the week, and "The Sting" was on tonight, and as it is one of my favorite films, I just had to watch... and it was as good and amusing as ever.  It is a perfect film in many ways; it's fairly light, the plot is the thing that makes it easy to root for so not-so-bad guys, who doesn't love a good con story, and Redford and Newman?  Easy peasy.  I'll even give them a pass for the musical accompaniment being anachronistic.  I didn't realize how many Oscars it won; looking at the other nominees for Best Picture... maybe "American Graffiti"?  I liked "Save the Tiger," in that Matt way, but I am not quite sure it stacks up to say, being a great.  Ok, "The Exorcist" has help up, but it is a different type of film...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home