Saturday, April 01, 2023

Transitions

 It's already April!  And Holy Week is upon us!  How quickly time flies... I do like the warmer weather, the increased amount of sunlight, and the generally fresh look of things.  I still need to pick up the branches from the front yard, and I should probably start the mower (I always forget to fire it up during the winter), as soon it will be time for my favorite activity... I paid off the snowplow person for the year -- only two pulls, which is... a record low.

Finished book 19 yesterday, a look at the history (and excavations) of Hadrian's Wall.  Lots of detail and military stuff, which I liked, and I did like how he discussed the changing views of the wall.  The author seemed to pooh-pooh a modern idea that it wasn't military in nature, just a barrier to define Rome from elsewhere.  (I told my Rome-loving cousin that people nowadays don't like big, beautiful walls.)  This could be me, but that is just...dumb.  The army built it and staffed, and it had both offensive and defensive capabilities.  Not that there weren't flows of people and trade goods across it, but... the point was to protect Roman civilization from everyone else.  Oi.

Went to St.  Augustine's yesterday for dinner.  Yes, it's in Tremont, but I found a reasonably close spot.  One thing I did not find (at first) was the fish fry; absolutely no signage, and meandering about the parish complex... you meet some interesting people, if you get my drift.  I eventually found my way there.  I did get a chance to look at their food pantry -- very nice, now, though I cannot imagine how it looks when the crowd gets through the place.  Anyways, despite the crowd of illiterates putting their orders in at the station, I eventually got a meal.  Wasn't bad; crumble-coated cod, hush puppies, cole slaw, dessert, $12.  The roll I saved for breakfast today... service was fairly quick, and they bring it to you, a nice touch.  Probably too many Hope and Changers to make it a regular, but it is open Good Friday, another nice touch...

Still can't believe South Carolina lost, but if you are going beat them...it helps to have the world's best player having the game of her life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home