Thursday, January 25, 2024

Contrasts

 Interesting TV nite for me.  I had dinner with a friend, but it was conveniently done about 7:15, so I was able to make it home (the seafood risotto at Cafe Melissa in Avon Lake was quite good, too!) in time to watch LSU-South Carolina.  Much as we may snark about women's basketball, it was... a very good game.  LSU led for most of it, but foul trouble (some calls questionable, as were some of her decisions) on Angel Reese took her out of the game, and the Lady Cocks (in this day and age, it is quite possible) came from behind (see previous note) and won.  In the meantime, the curse of Terry Pluto continues, as CSU lost at home.  Why do people chance fate in such a manner?

Is it me, or is the cause of Republicanism -- and common sense (by extension) -- on the advance?  I mean, in Ohio, it takes the act of the legislature to override a veto... and now in Alabama they finally found a way to execute someone.  As I so often say, if the left can re-define marriage, gender, and being a woman, why can't we re-define "cruel and unusual punishment?"  I have often said that Kay Ivey is the second best governor in America, and today she just might be the first.  She might say "No way, Jose" but if she was up here...

I guess I nodded off after the second half of "Shane;" I love that movie but really they could have ended with the gunfight and the ride through the cemetery.  Brandon de Roush was nominated for Best Supporting Actor???  It's not "Shakespeare in Love," but...  anyways, I guess it was a necessary corrective after the hoops game.  But, this means that I cannot sleep.  Matt being Matt, I am reading and trying to finish the current book while catching up on some laundry.  This weekend I have nothing planned; well, almost nothing.  A friend is trying to get me to go to a Burns dinner (tomorrow is the day).  Having been to one... mind you, my friend does not share my culinary adventurism, and his poetry tastes make mine look progressive, so unless he wants to gander at kilted men and drink my scotch (both distinct possibilities)... I am thinking no.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home