Friday, March 01, 2024

Culinary Travels

Went into the office today -- there were very few people in, and it was almost sepulchral.  But it was good... I had some work to do that I wanted to get done (and did), and had some reading and research to do, which I was able to accomplish, so... that was good.  Sort of old school, getting some research done, trying to master some aviation facts... not that I haven't had time time to do it, but...there are so many other things to work on.  Hell, I even found time to clean out the work email inbox (and we all know how I feel about that).

I also took advantage of the Friday in office to hit the fish fry at St. Joseph's in Avon Lake.  It is well-known (Channel 3 was there tonight) for the grub, as the pastor is something of a cook.  The place was a zoo; I barely found a parking spot, and I almost got killed by people going through the drive-through line. Inside, the line reminded me of St. Adalbert's, save for the fact that a family of 8 cut in front of me (oi), and then committed the cardinal sin of NOT being ready to order (this was drilled into me as a kid), which was...unpleasant.  The food was good; I ordered clam chowder (lots of corn and potatoes, good flavor), the cod with the mango chutney (which was sweet and a bit tangy; it certainly smelled good), and a dessert -- cherry cheesecake.  You got a side of cole slaw, and... that was it.. I should have ordered another side (even the green beans)... but, this could be me, I would rather pay a bit more to get everything than to a la carte it to death.  That said, considering I paid $25 for dinner as it was... well, it was good but not quite $25 good (even in Avon Lake).  Also... I think they used a separate plate for everything; I told our Hot Meal people I would shit myself if they pulled that!  (They concurred it was a bit much, phew.)  On the way home, I realized that I need to visit more inner-ring parishes... as I like to say, the parish in Avon Lake will be fine without my cover, but there are a dozen parishes where my $20 will go farther.

No wonder boys are turning toward conservative beliefs — it’s rebellion against parents’ woke ideology (msn.com)
This amused the hell out of me; first of all, kids rebel against their parents all the time, and second... if she is so concerned about not making her kids like that... well, show them how not to do it.  I suspect her actions and behavior are turning her kids against her... and that's too bad?  I guess I get a kick out of people who claim to be feminists -- which is supposed to be about choice -- and then working to shove their beliefs down peoples' throats.

‘The Church is always the target’: Why Archbishop Cordileone wants new emphasis on the martyrs of Communism (pillarcatholic.com)
Catholicism in San Francisco?  An Italian who is actually Catholic?  What will they think of next?  More seriously, this is a good idea; the Church does -- as the article reports -- stand for those affected by the scourge of Communism, and in this day and age it is important to remember its victims...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home