Monday, July 08, 2024

New Disciplines

 First time in a while I did a gym double -- chest in the AM, legs in the afternoon.  Not a full one for both -- my blood sugar was suspiciously low this morning so no cardio -- but it was good to be back in the saddle again, if you will.  I mean, I got some reading done, got some exercise in, even did some more walking tonight (and I am still hauling stuff to the compost pile in the pack).  I weighed in at 185 pounds this morning, and I think I can get to 180 with some work, moreso if I eschew Cleveland Burger Week; my sister and I were thinking of going somewhere in honor of Mom, as burgers were one of the few foods she did eat.  Of course, picking a place, day, and time is... well, as Napoleon said, the union of two armies at the same place and time is the most rare of accomplishments (or something similar).  Alas.

I listened to the Trump interview on Hannity tonight.  Interesting and dare I say somewhat disciplined?  I mean, he did say some odd things but I think he was mainly on point.  Trump will never be polished and mechanistic, if you will, but this discipline...well, it reminded me of the end of the 2016 campaign, when Conway had him talking jobs, jobs, jobs, in the rural areas; one could argue it got him the election.  Will it continue?  I wonder...I hope so, but...

Trump and his allies move to bury Biden - POLITICO
I think this is...about time?  Overdue?  I think a lot of GOPers were wondering when and how he would strike; the interview today might be part of this new approach.  Biden is a walking gaffe machine so there should be plentiful ads, at the very least.

Ben Shapiro, the Right’s Millennial Moses, Builds Empire in Wilderness | RealClearPolitics
Dare I say he is the next Rush?  I guess you could say that Rush was the next Buckley, but with the more recent media invention (radio and TV), and Shapiro is doing podcasts, youtube, etc.  The funny thing now is that you can really monetize this content, so being the first mover...plus, he is good at it!

Why Are There So Few Conservative Professors? (chronicle.com)
Interesting read...I think the idea that as profs move left -- moreso! -- it just becomes too much to hire a conservative is the right one.  One factor no one seems to want to try is to force schools to hire conservatives.  Most states -- those run by the GOP -- have funding mechanisms that stem from the government, and you would think -- as both a stick and a GOP concept -- that threats (or better yet, actually) to cut funding should be in the toolbox.  I wonder why in Ohio we don't do it, but of course we tend not to exhibit actual Republican behavior.  But there are states where we have control is there, and...we don't.  Odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home