Thursday, June 27, 2024

Debate

 It has been a long week, between work projects, Excel classes, and random OC stuff... I wouldn't want to say stressful, but it has been; learning new stuff, dealing with deadlines, trying to finish stuff, coordinating; the sink is full of dishes, the email list is piling up, reading has not been done... oi.  This weekend I have little to do -- save the normal stuff -- so I intend to sleep, clean, catch up on stuff... at least as much as I can.

Tonight was also busy; had a wake (friend lost his Mom, he is not doing well), a brief meeting about social justice stuff, then home to get the dish I made for the debate party that the Fun Run Bunch continues to have; it is multigenerational by now and if the sprinting is done on a treadmill... well, we keep at it.  And... I was glad I went, as it was fun, and... well, the debate was interesting.  Dare I be contrarian?  I think it is fair to say Biden lost the debate, but I am not sure Trump won it.  Biden looked incoherent (but he always has been) and the early stumbles -- when people were really watching -- were atrocious.  But, he had some moments; not quite fair to say he got better as it went on (how could it not) but he was forceful at times.  Trump... I think he stressed immigration too much; he has a stronger case on the economy with inflation and all, and I think simply stating the price differences of stuff then and now... well, that would have nailed it.  Trump also dodged the child care question -- both sides have not been good at this -- but he could have answered.  He was good on abortion; he sort of dodged but articulated a pro-life enough position.  Trump was disciplined (enough) and forceful.  He could have turned the Charlottesville question on Biden by saying people are running around with swastikas now, and where is his come to Jesus moment over that?  Trump surprised me with his comment about the neither of them understanding Biden... the man is not one for repartee, if you will.  

Dare I say it is an injustice that only one Blue Devil was taken in the first round?  Ok, there were really only two choices, and Filipowski went 32nd today.  I would argue that the trend against bigs is a factor, and the fact that he is not exactly a pillar of strength out there doesn't help.  But his other skills... I was a bit surprised.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home