Friday, September 06, 2024

Progress and backsliding

I just finished Cult City: Jim Jones, Harvey Milk, and 10 Days That Shook San Francisco; it's interesting, I will give you that.  Basically, Milk was a pedophile, rapist, and shameless opportunist, and many San Franciscans fully embraced the People's Temple...until Jonestown, at which point it went down the memory hole, and no one ever called them out on it.  Mind you, this is a very American thing -- how many politicians ever pay any price for their actions?  I mean, not talking about losing re-election, but going to jail, being reviled, etc.?  Few and far between, if that?  Maybe it is easier now to go after people, as everything is online and can be easily recovered... but it does trouble me somewhat.

I had a discount coupon and thus had Jimmy John's for dinner; it was good not great?  I mean, it's good, but the new pumpkin white chocolate cookie, I had high hopes for it, and... it was ok.  Maybe too high?  Alas.  I guess it was good not to cook for once, and I can afford it.  Sort of; I do need to save for savings, prepare the return of a HELOC balance, and as I am ahead on my mortgage, I could go and make a larger principal-only payment on that.  I mean, there is something to be said that you don't really do much, but on the other hand, you get a few hundred extra on it, then a principal-only one, and it does go down faster.  Paying down a mortgage faster is not an unwise goal...

One thing I have noticed -- my bookmark and link pile is getting longer, and the list of movies and such that I need to watch (including some of those links) is getting longer as well.  My weekends have been somewhat busy, as has been work, so there has been less time to watch and read stuff.  Alas.

The jobs data came out today, and while everyone expects a rate cut... one, I think it is too little too late, and two, will they cut enough?  I mean, I think 50 basis points would be a powerful symbol, and it would really dice down mortgage rates and credit card rates, which would in turn fuel some home buying and selling, and all sorts of other fun things.  I suspect they will just go 25, and while it is a relief, it is not much of one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home