Wednesday, November 18, 2015

My two cents

I've been watching stuff lately -- two movies on the list, for starters.  "Flower Drum Song," a Rogers and Hammerstein musical that wasn't awful...for a musical.  I noted that the Asian cast popped up elsewhere -- Admiral Nagumo in "Midway" and the Asian detective on Barney Miller -- and the story was ok.  "My Darling Clementine" was good -- I didn't realize it was a John Ford Western (the OK Corral shootout) with Henry Fonda, Victor Mature, and others...I liked it, and it was...well, I didn't realize how much "Tombstone" shared with the movie; not exactly derivative, but they shared many of the same...elements, if you will.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/the-koch-brothers-intelligence-agency-215943?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_daily202#ixzz3rqE4Mgec
This is pretty awesome.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/philadelphia-schools-public-charter-parochial-private/?all=1

A friend of mine sent me this...two things stand out.  First -- the cost of a Catholic education for a child is $86,000 -- assuming, of course, that costs do NOT go up (ha!) and not including the extras, such as interest on the loan, the multiple fundraisers, and whatnot.  I realize public schools have them, but...my general impression is that Catholic schools have more.  Thus, you can spend $125K per kid,  That's a shitload of cash, and of course, the cost will go up...whereas you use that buy a house, the cost is fixed...and you have real property.

The other point I noted is that -- even if you did everything exactly right and raised your kid just so -- it might not matter; as a parent, you still could be stuck sending your kid to a suboptimal place for their education.  To say nothing of the fact that in many places...the urban experience is less than ideal, if you get my drift.  In the suburbs, it is simply so much easier; you move to a place like BBH, Westlake, Hudson, etc.; you've won the battle, mostly.  The schools are solid.  The neighborhood will hold its value.  You'll prolly have decent neighbors, and the kids they hang out with...the same (not saying it is a guarantee, but the odds are better).  They plow the streets and fill the potholes.  Taxes are higher, but you do get what you pay for, and I've generally noticed that complaints tend to be acknowledged, if not answered.  Not saying it is perfect, of course, but...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home