Sunday, January 31, 2016

Unease

Went to the Bomb Squad for brunch for a 30th bday celebration...I am not exactly sure that commemorating the air war and the deaths of thousands of Allied servicemen during the war is to gorge oneself into oblivion, but...there I was.  It was pretty good, albeit a bit pricey, and so much so that I skipped a trip to the gym and just took a long walk instead.  Not long enough, though..I had dinner at Mom's -- her beef stew was WAY too hot -- and I am sure how, but I got somewhat ill...better now, with walking and water and deep breaths and several trips to the bathroom, but...oi.  I do not think I should be doing this again for a LONG time.

Am reading The Betrayal, a more scholarly/less journalistic coverage of the Black Sox Scandal...the author goes at length to point out that while Eight Men Out is a good book, it was...well, not as rigorous with the facts as it could have been.  Hence, he is at pains to correct said deficiencies.  I also find it interesting that it was an open secret from during the games itself to when it finally came out; most people knew it was true or felt something was amiss, but for a bunch of reasons, didn't say so.  To be sure, Eight Men Out was written without the now-unveiled grand jury testimony, so we have a better record of what the players themselves said.  I don't think anything like this will happen now; the salaries are too high (I think moral discussions here would be ridiculous) and no one would want to give up a livelihood...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home