Friday, September 23, 2016

Double

Two posts in one day, I know...such...effort.  More seriously -- one, three! -- and two, I've been watching some films, and am up to 464 on the list...  Recent viewings include:

"In The Land of the Head Hunters," a 1914 silent with Native American dancers illustrating folk tales;
"The Iron Horse," a 1924 John Ford silent which I liked; you could sort of tell its influence on future Westerns -- the coming of the railroad, the kid going to avenge his father, the bad Indian, the cavalry coming to save the day, the hooker with the  heart of gold... it had them all.
"The Naked City," a 1948 film noir...very interesting.  I liked the notion of the narrator and the generally tedious nature of crime work, followed by moments of action, to say nothing of the camera work, which I also enjoyed...I also figured out that the main character is the older priest in "Going My Way..."

I also read The Cruel Sea, a novel about life on British corvettes and frigates during the Battle of the North Atlantic...I rather liked it,  It was long, but the interesting parts about training, life at sea, and the general conduct of war in shitty conditions...interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home