Friday, February 09, 2018

Back

After a thrilling and busy week, when I planned to do nothing but to go to bed early tonight...well, here we are.  To be sure, I did empty out some emails, caught up some links, did some of my favorite therapeutic activities... haven't made any progress on the film list, but there is of course time.  I have been doing some reading at the gym, at least... right now, I am reading about the last battles of the Petersburg campaign, most interesting, as you can imagine...

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-05/think-carefully-before-cutting-off-subsidies-to-red-states

Most, or at least, many, GOPers, would agree with this...one, after the big spending bill last nite, and two...well, a lot of people would prefer that the states took the lead on this sort of thing, and I suspect there are just enough smart GOPers out there to make it work...

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-07/rent-control-needs-retirement-not-a-comeback

I've been reading a lot about housing policy lately... maybe the legacy of Evicted or something else; but the one thing that keeps coming back to me is that more units have to be built; but rent control is equally unwise, given its perverse series of incentives and the fact that it spurs all sorts of cheating... to me, contempt for the law...well, I can see how it persists in NYC, which is more the reason it cannot persist here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home