Thursday, August 09, 2018

Creeping Forward

I haven't done this in a while -- for a bunch of reasons, all equally good and bad -- but I poked around on youtube and watched "The Making of an American," a 13-minute short on the NFR (silent), putting me to 674... anyways, it was... well, a bit too upwardly mobile, I think, but it was your standard American fare (for 1913) combining the need to integrate and learn the language with the usual point about how the US is a land of opportunity. I don't really think this is less true now -- any part of the film -- but comments were disabled, which made me wonder...

One of my coworkers reminded me that I was wrong about the Brantley signing (never mind many of my other predictions were spot on)... I told him yes, but all the work spent on keeping him healthy has put everyone else on the shelf.  It is sort of true... I mean, no one wants Guyer in CF to start a game, I think; but then again, with all of the Ks floating about, there are fewer fly balls.  It does do some neat slotting with Rajai entering late and Guyer moving to RF, but this is also saying that Melky is the solution in RF, which is...well, simply not true.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hands-off-clergy-balk-as-european-politicians-brandish-the-crucifix-1533807001?mod=hp_listb_pos1
I was shocked, shocked, to see the Pope decrying this, and the good Catholics of Poland supporting this... 

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1027648500107026433.html
I think is largely correct, and indeed, makes some points people tend to want to forget...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home