Monday, August 20, 2018

Hard hitting

This could be me, but... I am not sure I trust Cody Allen in the postseason.  Hell, we don't really trust him in the regular season... I don't know, his stuff is just not the same, and it could be simply that he has been ridden hard and put away wet in the first part of the career, especially with the extensive action in 2016 and 2017.  I am glad we have Hand and Cimber, and if Miller can get partway to his old form....but that is a big if right now.

Due to a Netflix deficiency -- a poorly playing CD -- I ended up watching the other selection on my list, which was "Only Angels Have Wings," a 1939 flying drama with an all-star cast and, dare I say... a good film?  It was -- some drama, some melodrama, excellent acting, and a story line that was... well, what I expected, but interesting enough.  Up to 680 on the list, and while I am not sure this film merits inclusion, it was pretty solid.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/catholics-skip-the-collection-plate-amid-moral-catastrophe-of-pennsylvanias-sex-abuse-cover-up-2018-08-20?mod=cx_picks&cx_navSource=cx_picks&cx_tag=mw&cx_artPos=7#cxrecs_s
This could be me, but 1) What the hell did they expect and 2) There has to be some punishment for what has occurred.  As for hurting the poor and the needy... well, so does paying off millions in abuse settlements for crimes they concealed, so... 

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/17/17675100/welfare-politics-republicans-democrats-suzanne-mettler

I think she gets it partly right, but... it delegitimizes the welfare state when people who do NOT deserve benefits get them, while those who, if you will, work hard and play by the rules do NOT get them; they are punished twice, once for following the rules and then again for paying taxes and NOT getting the free passes.  If you come from the school of thought -- that many liberals do -- that everyone deserves something, well, this is above them.  But to a GOPer, this dichotomy is enough to drive them to the polls, but never quite enough to either cut benefits or live down the claims of "meanness."  I for one would LOVE to see a GOPer say that it is far worse for people to cheat the systems and take advantage of it....thus, we need to buzzsaw things until only the truly deserving get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home