Monday, August 27, 2018

Lamentations

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/08/23/the-bankruptcy-republican-party/SAolyQrzpX14zgkqMCNa9H/story.html

Coming from the state that gave us Ted Kennedy -- hell, all of the Kennedys -- this seems a little...rich, don't you think?

Up to 682 on the NFR, as yesterday I watched "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek," a rather humorous film about...well, marriage?  I was a little surprised it got by the censors, given it was 1943, but I think that actually added to the humor, given it was the sort of thing that could happen to many a young man, or woman, in that time...

https://www.mlb.com/news/daniel-murphy-sparks-cubs-in-sweep-of-reds/c-292024634?partnerId=ed-13043995-1092213043

Maybe it is the Holy Spirit at work?  Given Murphy's, um, stance on social issues, that would be funny as hell if it were the case...  I guess I don't really care what a guy does, provided he can hit.  I mean, let's face it, if the modern day Carl Everett was available to play 2B, and the price was right, well, Jason Kipnis would be a well-loved PH, if that. 

The reactions to John McCain's death were...well, interesting.  I was amused to see the left-wingers who excoriated him a decade ago were now, of course, lionizing him; similarly, I was fascinated to see the Trumpers of the party not waiting until he was in the ground to crap on him and his legacy.  To me, he was always...conservative enough?  Two decades ago he was the Straight Talk Express and in some ways the Tea Party before the Tea Party.  Nor did I ever have an issue with his stances on the military and use of force.  To me, the bigger issue is that, like the Democrats now, the GOP is demanding a too inflexible rigidity among its politicians... that is unwise, as expecting 100% orthodoxy from someone who will be with us 90% of the time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home