Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Bemusement

So, here I am, Thanksgiving Eve, feeling fat, and with the prospect of MORE food to go.  Oi. I did hit the gym hard today, and will do so tomorrow AM, but of course the idea is to NOT eat... and now is not the time for that sort of thing.  Alas, alack.  The slight uptick in warmer weather might encourage me to sneak a walk in, or something, just to burn a few hundred calories...

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/usappblog/2018/08/24/why-success-for-women-candidates-the-2018-midterms-might-turn-more-male-voters-away-from-the-democratic-party/
Interesting?  I don't know; I mean, I there will be a limit as to how far you can push this... some women - pro-lifers, Evangelicals, etc., just won't go "D," and similarly some just won't go "R," no matter what.  Pushing independents into one camp... maybe?  I think the 2018 midterm was one election, as was the 2016 one.  So, if this continues for 2020, I will be impressed.  Policy-wise; I am not sure you will ever have a "pro-male" agenda...even if you did, I think it would be blocked by courts, and unless you overturned that...

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/14/18088930/mississippi-election-2018-cindy-hyde-smith-midterms
On the one hand, yes, I can see how in Mississippi, this is an issue.  Mind you, as it was traditionally Democrats who made hangings part of policy, I haven't exactly seen anything like an apology from them, but I digress.  On the other hand... for one thing, Jesus, I've said for years now that we need public hangings for any number of things, such as priests who molest kids and, say, the Bishops who harbored them.  Is someone going to go around and say that I am anti-Catholic?  (It would be as funny as hell, to be sure.)  More seriously -- and maybe I have read a bit too much Orwell for my own good, but I think this is what he calls the weaponization of language... sometimes, of course, a phrase is just a phrase, and now... well, again, given the source of this, the irony is a bit much...

https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2018/11/the-many-important-people-who-vouched-for-wife-beater-and-former-judge-lance-mason.html
This could be me, but... shouldn't these people have been smarter?  (Yes, I know they are Democrats, so no, they couldn't have been, but...)  I mean, if I was, say, a Senate GOPer, I would immediately announce a program against domestic violence, and then subpoena each and every one of them and ask them what the hell they were thinking.  I can imagine that the answers would be, well, troll-central, but that would be the point. Hell, you could even bring Keith Ellison and his ilk into this, too...

There is of course another issue here...namely, for the past two years or so, Democrats have pretty much every day accused GOPers of being anti-woman, sexist, etc... now, I am not syaing of course that this isn't completely false -- there are some not  fine people out there  - but now, of course, we have Democrats killing women and a whole cohort of them suddenly caught defending the guy who did it, and the company/press line is now... well, they aren't responsible, which is mostly true, but...if the guy had been Lance Smith, and not some Democrap functionary, would he have gotten the slap on the wrist?  Of course not... So, again... if you are that stupid that you aren't aware of the track record of a domestic abuser, can we afford to have you in public office?  Of course not...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home