Monday, January 21, 2019

Beating the drum

So, for now, at least, I've survived the snowpocalypse.  It was funny... Fr. Joe at Mass yesterday said we were "devout or crazy" for coming in, but... well, I don't know about the other 14 people there, but my commute was... good.  My driveway was plowed, and Broadview Heights streets were largely pavement (for what I pay in taxes they should be).  I-77 was mostly pavement.  Slavic Village, of course, was a disaster, but I fully expected that.  And, our saints of a maintenance crew had the parking lot in excellent condition.  I do not think we want to experience any of this again, but...

I am now up to 700 on the film list with two new additions... "Cinderella" and "Days of Wine and Roses."  No, I had not seen "Cinderella" until now...and, dare I say, I liked it?  I mean, cute story, not too much music, basic tale... I would have liked to have seen either the stepmom and the stepsisters getting more of a comeuppance, or -- as in the Grimm tale -- more of the foot- and toe-chopping, but, well, I think I will survive.  The other was basically "The Lost Weekend," but with a couple -- Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick as a couple torn apart by alcoholism. I liked it as well...not that I have a lot of sympathy for those types (imagine that).  One thing I did find interesting was its overt plug for AA... nowadays, I think, it has gone...well, people look to chemical ways of treating alcohol addiction, too.  But I suspect in 1960 or so, this was not the case....

I have been amused by the contretemps over the kids at the March for Life (which I think is stupid) and the protestors...leaving aside the fact that once again the press and the left made their decisions before all, or any, of the evidence was in... My main issue, I think, is the fact that an entire political statement, or pholosphy, has been branded....racist?  I don't know, maybe it is, but maybe it isn't?  Saying "MAGA' or "Build the Wall" could be, but I also think there are a bunch of people who simply view this as good policy, and just might not be "woke" to the racism.  Painting them as racists, broad brush and all...well, it only makes Trump support stronger and more hidden.  I don't have a problem with this of course, but I do object to this shift of tarring policy disagreements into hate crimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home