Saturday, January 26, 2019

Trying to learn

Interesting day...I tried to sleep in to rest -- I still have this cold -- and then off to the gym for a nice workout.  Lunch and chores at Mom's, and then home, where I spent a few hours -- and not very successfully, at that -- trying to master the intricacies of SQL.  Anyways, I will play more with it tomorrow... this could be me, but I prefer learning by book, and online is not quite the same, and plus I need to learn by doing, and it is hard -- not impossible -- to take the theoretical stuff and apply it here....alas.  But we MUST continue.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/media-must-learn-covington-catholic-story/581035/

I don't know about you, but I don't know of anyone who thinks that the media will learn anything from this is simply kidding themselves.  No one certainly is going to lose their jobs over this, for one, and another, of course, it will simply be morphed into a discussion of tolerance, diversity, etc., yadda.  This could be me, but I think it would be awesome if the lawyers for these kids went after everyone who posted/tweeted/etc., anything about them; it's called discovery for a reason...

I am reading Martin Kitchen's The End, which discusses the last of WWII from the German side, of which he makes two main points:  1) The war was fought to the upmost by the Germans until the last and 2) It was all pointless and exacerbated suffering.  I think that's true, but... 
1) The German defeat in WWI was believed to have been caused by the "stab in the back," so the entire regime, if you will, was engineered to prevent and minimize this.  (Like it or not.)
2) I think at the back of everyone's mind was what they had caused -- the Holocaust, the atrocities, especially in the East, etc., and everyone knew damn well that without victory or a negotiated peace...well, there would be a reckoning, and the price would be tremendous...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home