Friday, May 01, 2020

I sense the goodness

So, I watched "Fog of War" yesterday -- 722! -- the documentary about Robert MacNamara, the Secretary of Defence during Vietnam.  I liked it, and I thought it was interesting, but... one learned about him, but not the why, and that to me was part of the problem -- it could have been better.  I realize maybe that was the point, but I watched it and went away wanting more.  One interesting point -- he talked about his first memory being the celebrations of Armistice Day, and everyone was wearing a mask because of the Spanish Flu pandemic...

I have been thinking about this lately, and in some ways... this is good?  I mean, no one likes being cooped up at home, but... oh, I don't know, there are some good things out of this. People can work from home for a prolonged period of time. I am driving a lot less, which is good for my pocketbook, and I suspect that everyone doing the same, it is good for the environment.  I am not hitting the gym, but I do have more time to read and watch some movies, hell, even write and text people I normally don't (as often).

I finished this book yesterday:
https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Religion-Culture-Politics-Eisenhower/dp/1101907398
I liked it, found it interesting.  Didn't realize he was from Rocky River.  I learned some things -- his experiences with the various spiritual and religious movements of the 70s, the Moonies, etc.  He seemed to have a lot of disdain for Billy Graham and the Jerry Falwell/Fundamentalist/Pentecostal movement.  I don't know; some of it is warranted, and some of it is Catholic bias towards a buttoned-down, free-wheeling group, which I get. On the other hand -- and the first part of his book discusses this -- some of this I think is simply that those groups -- like Catholics -- were never accepted by "mainstream" America at the time for being, well different.  (Think of the Latin Mass as speaking in tongues).  For Woodward to not get that is a little odd (maybe not, liberal bias). I guess this is why the alliance between the two groups for culture wars, if you will, has been surprisingly... easy and fruitful?  Some of it is I think the common enemy, but a larger part of it is simply at the end of the day they have the shared experience, which is a language in and of itself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home