Monday, May 11, 2020

Linx

Waking up -- on May 11 -- to a layer of snow on the ground made me, as I so often do, proclaim the settled science of global warming.  Anyways, as the magic of Netflix has yet to settle in the DVD player, I have some links instead...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-an-obscure-british-comedy-sketch-became-the-world-s-most-repeated-tv-program?utm_source=pocket-newtab
I had never heard of this until today, so of course I was fascinated, and its pretty funny...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-start-of-a-talent-drain-in-the-college-basketball-game-11589194872?mod=hp_lead_pos13
Oh, I don't kow... I mean, even if say all of the top recruits went to the G League, wouldn't this just mean that colleges would be fighting for the next tier of players?  I highly doubt in such a case that the talent drop off would be so noticeable to the average fan that it would be noted. Indeed, I would ague that for most fans it would be immaterial, as they are rooting/caring for the school and not for the player. I mean, if enough players went to the G League, it would 1) possibly create more opportunities for mid-tier players but 2) drive up the bidding wars (legal with the upcoming NIL stuff and otherwise) for all players, pro-bound or not. Either way I don't think the talent drain would be more than a trickle.

Duke, of course, would never be involved in such shenanigans, and any and all complaints to the contrary are nothing but sour grapes.

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1lhy2h328jhpt/Inside-the-Biggest-Oil-Meltdown-in-History
Interesting!

The basebball news has been...depressing?  An 80-game season?  No fans in the stands?  Bad enough but understandable.  But, cutting the draft to five rounds -- in the guise of "cost-cutting" has to be dumb, especially for a club like the Tribe, where drafting young players is simply essential for being remotely competitive...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home