Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Smooth Sailing

The root canal happened today... I am not sure if this dentist was more skilled, or the position was less deep... but it is much less painful than the last one!  I have not cracked open the ibuprofen I picked up today.  I've been assiduous about chewing on half my mouth and had a delicious dinner of soup and diced nectarine, so... but this is impressive.  And, in many ways, it was the least painful event of the day...

Watched "Purple Rain" today; yes, I hadn't seen it.  And... for all my worry about it not being my thing, and it wasn't... I enjoyed it.  I don't know; the crazy outfits, the doing his own thing, the songs being pretty cool, him being popular just when I began to listen to music... I am not saying this was the best film I ever watched, but I liked it and I can certainly see a case for its cultural relevance.  (732, for those counting.)

So, the roster is out...Zimmer made it, while Jake Bauers did not.  Hunter Wood did not, but Cam Hill did.  Plutko to the long relief role, whatever that is... mind you, this is only for two weeks, and then culls happen. I don't see anything egregious, though I am less hot on Domingo Santana over 60 games. Ok, maybe if he gets hot... I guess that is the big question; the team just starts so slow...

I got a kick out of this; on the right side of the blogosphere, there is a long and fun tradition of mocking Krugman about the stock market under Trump and other things...  More seriously, though, I think this is a little...unfair to those who called this.  For all the mocking of H. Ross Perot and the sucking sound, it happened as predicted, and there was no Plan B for those affected.  Back when we were in the office and discussing the trade wars of President Trump, I would always use NAFTA as the example...namely, everyone else went to war on us, and paraphrasing Churchill, it's easier to fight a war if the other side fights back... now we are fighting from behind and how the hell do you catch up?

This could be me, but much like no one ever asked Democrats why they were with John Edwards being one heartbeat from the Presidency, I am sure that no one will ever ask FL Democrats how they would have felt about him being their governor...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home