Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Hilariousness

 Took a half day today to go to the dentist (joy), get some ice cream (I deserve it, sort of), the gym (extensive cardio the past two days), and now blog and catch up on the bookmarks and emails.  Odd; the weekend was busy, catching up on work and all, but I didn't do anything of interest or import; didn't even watch that much college hoops...

Yesterday I slept through the alarm and thus couldn't do a double gym day... that mistake will not be repeated tomorrow.  I watched "Fires on the Plain," a Japanese film from 1959 aboiut soldiers stuck on the Philippines and their struggles to stay alive.  Wouldn't say I liked it, but it was..interesting.  Ok, I did like it; not in the way one likes, say, "Airplane," but it held my attention and it was a unique look at people at the edge of survival.

Bunch of articles about how the Big Ten has shit the bed, which is true.  I felt IL was overseeded (that win over Duke just isn't that convincing now, is it?) as well as some of the other teams; Loyola was certainly underseeded, for instance, but the selection committee hosing small-conference teams isn't exactly new.  The problem is, to me, that every year the Big Ten has the "good teams beating each other up" argument and I am not sure it is compelling.  The other problem to me is that the committee NEVER (I have heard the chair disclaim this in their talks) looks at past performance.  To me, this is a problem...one, they'd account for that when ranking teams, and two... it would be so much more compelling!  Saying "Gee, the Big Ten sucked in 2021, so we are using that to judge teams in 2022" would be not only good for the Tourney (other deserving teams are out there) but people would go apeshit and maybe even do something about it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home