Thursday, August 26, 2021

I'm A Believer

 Long time no post; Tuesday I was helping a friend with some personal issues (I know, it must be dire if I am the ohe who gets the call) and yesterday I went to Corleone's in Parma (never been there) to see/hear JD Vance -- of Hillbilly Elegy fame -- give a speech as he stumps for the Senate.

Important things first:  the grub.  It was...fine?  I snagged some of the apps -- meatballs and cheesy bread -- because I couldn't get a server (it was quite crowded, though this is good!) and then had chicken piccata for the entree (late).  It was...good?  Not great?  I mean, it was clearly homemade and not from a box, and it was decent, but I am not sure it is $32 good.  

Anyways, the main event.  I'll concede I have been leaning Vance for a while; I think the story is compelling and his policies I find attractive -- government can't solve all problems, too much woke, maybe even breaking up Big Tech.  So off I went.  As noted before, it was a full house; SRO (sort of a COVID pit, even on a outdoor porch), and while it was a white and upper class crowd, they were certainly engaged and knowledgable (we are Republicans, so of course).

And you know what?  I am now converted.  He nailed it; the issues he was clear, he was forceful on many things, gave an impressive answer as to why we need to break up Big Tech, excellent answers about election security, interesting approach on how to win the primary.  The crowd reactions...well, you know me, I am fascinated by such things.  Most there are Tucker Carlson fans, so JD's presence there is good.  No one likes Mande.  Bernie Moreno had some supporters (do we want a car salesman in the Senate?), but it seemed most there liked Vance because he was not a politician.  Also...quite a few of the people - big third -- had not read his book, which to me seemed...odd.

My sister said it was a shame he didn't speak tonight, because that would been interesting, to put it mildly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home