Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Educational folies a deux

So, Monday I went to a friend's house to help him pack for a move, and yesterday I went to bed at 11... early for me.  Monday, of course, was amusing in that my friend's (ok, his wife's) cat pissed all over just before I arrived... I always get a kick out of people who tell me that I need a dog/cat/pet, because, well... I don't.  I always say pets keep you and not the other way around, and this sort of proved it... not that I ever wanted a cat.  The hair!  The scent!  Oi!  Anyways, now, of course, I can't sleep -- despite trying to go to bed early again -- and so I may as well blog.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-happens-when-conservative-school-boards-seize-power-at-districts-around-the-country/ar-AAPJUoL?li=BBnbcA1

I get a kick out of these articles...for one, people always complain the community isn't involved enough in one way or another, and you certainly can't complain about that now...  Also, of course, is that people seem to be surprised that non-leftists can win anywhere.  I don't know; I would think education/their children is the one thing people would be most conservative about, and in consequence when they see/hear something that rattles them -- excessive wokeness would be the first of many things, I suspect -- they will get riled up. It's also genius for the GOP as a party building exercise; for one, people tend to win elections and think they can win more.  Also, you get people involved in campaigning (and donating), and if some of those people stay involved for house and senate races...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/amid-pandemic-turmoil-and-curriculum-fights-a-boom-for-christian-schools/ar-AAPI97a?li=BBnb7Kz

Similarly, is any of this a surprise?  I mean, I don't think the public school system (and their unions, to be more precise) have exactly covered themselves with glory during this pandemic, and given the above factor (excessive wokeness) combined with dissatisfaction over the educational process... people will look for alternatives.  As I am fond of saying, if a restaurant declines in quality, there is no law that forces me to eat there... and similarly, parents are more than capable of putting their children elsewhere...

Mind you, I am as much of a public school person as anyone (let's not send the kids to the organization that pulled off a multinational, multigenerational campaign to molest kids, you know), but the fact of the matter is that now they are not serving the public good and in consequence parents are pulling their kids out.  If this should happen to pull out dollars in funding and make it harder for districts to pass levies...well, they should have thought of that, shouldn't they?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home