Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Surprises

 Interesting day today; namely, the Internet was down, and thus after waking up and using my phone to read the news and the sports scores (the horror!), I had to drive to the office to get some work done.  I managed to get some errands done as well on the way (how nice -- gas was, for once, cheaper on the East Side), but then it was to work. I was quite productive -- there were three of us there, after all -- and I had a couple of client meetings where I certainly needed to see the spreadsheets. On the other hand, I didn't miss the commute.  But, some of it was much the same; the tellers at the bank branch I visited, the people at the gym out there (some even said hello after a year), the bullcrap about snarky sports with some of the coworkers who came in for a meeting.  It was..,oddly normal, if you will.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/11/alden-global-capital-killing-americas-newspapers/620171/

This story almost saddened me... :)

I finished an interesting, if short, book today:  Boomers, which was written in the same vein as Strachey's Eminent Victorians (which I read in college)...basically, it's a chapter-length bio of a Baby Boomer, and the chapter is used to illustrate the follies of the generation. The author covered Steve Jobs, Aaron Sorkin, Sonia Sotomayor, among others, and while I didn't agree with all of it, I agreed with a bunch, and that with which I did not agree made me think, always a good thing.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home