Friday, January 21, 2022

Memory Lanes

So, I broke on my own rules today and went to eat at a place Mom would have liked.  Hell, she even picked it out for me/us:  Fresh Start Diner in Twinsburg.  I was doing some house cleaning last weekend and found a PD article she clipped about the place -- namely, that I would like it, and she could find something...they do breakfast and lunch, and specialize/feature eggs benedict -- including with crab cakes (who eats that shit, of course).  Anyways, for a bunch of reasons, we never went, but today I did.  A bit far but just down 82, and aside from the challenge of navigating Twinsburg square in the dark...there I was.  

And it was pretty good!  Potatoes not greasy, sauce good (homemade, you can tell), portions decent; even the coffee was good, and the server even offered it to me to go (which is like feeding crack to the addict).  I mean, I am not saying I eat breakfast like this every day, but I can see myself going back. 

Work was...interesting.  One of those days where I literally couldn't do my own work, as I was deluged with other things...requests for help, client queries, that sort of thing.  Oi.  I mean, it's part of the job, and we are short-handed like everyone else, but I could have used a bleach cocktail.  Or two.

Funny...one of my coworkers was asking me today about Tony Gwynn; namely, his low K% (4.2!) which, of course, is unheard of nowadays, his general lack of power (I pointed out that all those doubles weren't exactly bloop hustles), and how we looked at the older and less chiseled and not the more lithe player of his time.  I pointed out SD-pre Petco was a pitchers' park, as was Candlestick and Dodger Stadium; mainly, that I think part of his approach was that you couldn't survive by trying to jack one 400 feet back then, so spraying the ball all over was quite the approach.

Of course, at the gym today, the first profile I get to in Posnanski's The Baseball 100 is...Tony Gwynn, with some cool insights as to his hitting approach, which I passed on.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2022/01/new-silent-film-festival-and-colloquium-highlights-cleveland-composer-js-zamecnik.html
This is cool!  I've seen them all, sadly, otherwise I would hit them, and I still might try to see one, just because the film selection is quite solid...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/washington-secrets/zogby-us-overwhelmingly-wants-less-federal-meddling

I am pretty skeptical of these things; I mean, sure they do now, but in general -- especially since we are not really paying for them -- not so much...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home