Friday, August 12, 2022

A Rest From Labors

 Finished the one project I was working on intensely today; it still needs to be reviewed and edited, but... I volunteered to do that over the weekend, and my supervisor told me she would rather me enjoy my weekend.  I told her this was new to me... and it is, sort of.  It's funny; I was talking to a former coworker who also left, and as he said...there is so much less stress at the new job.  And he's exactly right!  The equilibrium is so much better; less stress, less work, more free time... so here I am, relaxing and enjoying this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/struggling-church-forced-to-cancel-festival-due-to-building-demolition/ar-AA10BJRf?li=BBnbfcL

Ugh.  Ok, I sort of like going there -- less of a mess than the Feast of the Assumption, a very pretty church, a neighborhood like that of my own parish...   I will probably attend the drive-through, even though it is not the same.  But it is good to support urban, ethnic parishes!

https://claremontreviewofbooks.com/there-goes-robert-e-lee/

Interesting?  I think the fascinating thing is we can track our nation's feelings on things with roughly the same way we look at Lee.  Hard to believe now that there were people in 1865 who wanted to hang him on the same tree with Jeff Davis, and one can/should argue that his actions -- going home, serving as President of a small college, keeping out of the news -- probably helped ensure...well, it wasn't peace during Reconstruction (as we now know) but, one can say, more open rebellion.  Then in the 70s they came for him -- The Marble Man at first, and now... everything.  I don't have a problem with this, though we need to add the proviso that 99% of the white population was racist (ok, maybe 90%) and even the one who were not...well, by the standards of today they would be raging Klansman.  That to me is the real issue with all of this; America until very recently was incredibly and casually racist, so it's not like you need a deep dive to find horrible stuff about people.  Trying to figure out how we got there -- and we moved away -- is to me a bit more interesting...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home