Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Cheating

 Meant to blog last night but crashed...oops.  The weekend was fine...I mainly worked.  I got a new project Thursday night -- deadline this Friday -- and it needs to be done.  I don't really mind; one, it's new, and two, it is important... and potentially profitable.  Funny; I did a lot of the stuff I would have normally did for my last job -- in terms of research approaches and methodology -- but for here and now, it was new for everyone, and I think they liked my approach.  So this is cool.  

Yesterday I went to a "Theology on the Rocks" presentation at St. Stephen's.  (Sad; I can remember going to Theology on Tap; this is the next generation, and I do NOT like it.)  It was a combo of church presentation/talk about the Latin Mass.  The last one amused me, as this church is served by the Jesuits, and our Jesuit pope (a person next to me called him the Antipope, so I made a friend) has been putting the kibosh on it.  Anyways, the parish is nice -- almost as nice at St. Stan's (we should host one of these) -- and quite ornate; lots of wood carvings brought over from Germany, though not as many statues.  The stained glass windows were interesting -- I missed the one with St. Lawrence (no grill!) -- and I was able to identify the rest.  Then the chat about the Latin Mass was interesting; the presentation was more "this is how the elements of the Mass came to be."  Like, a Greek pope liked the Kyrie, so that stayed, or there used to be more readings (like on Easter Saturday), and Mass got too long, so they culled it to three.  I love this stuff, of course.  The Latin Mass discussion was...interesting, given the current climate.  My own sense is that for people who like that sort of thing, it's exactly the thing they would like, and that we have just enough Tridentine Mass... but I also think shitting on it (like the Pope is doing) is wrong, in many ways.  Some day, of course, we will actually have a Catholic Pope, and these things will change.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/08/oklahoma-wr-coach-resigns-after-film-session-incident
I wonder...did the kid whose phone have the offending word get cut?  No word on that... but if it so offensive that it cannot be said... well, I think we know the answer to that question, not that any journalist is going to ask...

Also, the Mar-A-Lago raid...this could be me, but I think this will only make Trump seem like a more aggrieved figure, and boost him among the base.  But...the question is, to me, is that what Biden wants?  If he thinks that a reprise of 2020 is the best way to win... maybe.  If the economy improves and he rattles off more wins, it might work.  If not... the other thing, of course, is that if Trump gets indicted, he is off the market, and I think DeSantis and others are better candidates -- disciplined, more of the party apparatus (FWIW) is behind them, and that wouldn't necessary help Biden in 24...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home