Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Concerns

 Woke up today with low blood sugar, so no AM trip to the gym -- I need to start doing some doubles again; not only for the general fatness, but I do like the exercise, and the chance to do some reading while on the exercise bike is always a plus.  I have some progress on the Russia book -- through the Decembrist revolution (I always though the episode interesting) and to the 1850s (lots of Russian poets died young, mainly, it seems, due to their own damn fault).  But still a ways to go.  Alas.

Say what you want about the Mar-A-Lago raid -- it has given all of the bloviating heads something to talk about.  I listened (briefly!) to some of them during the day, just for shits and giggles, and it was all they could discuss, nonstop... which is why I seldom listen to them, preferring some educational podcasts (lots of art history now) as background noise.  It's like sports radio...oi.  

https://fee.org/articles/why-are-gas-prices-falling/

I think I have read like four articles on this the past few days.  Now, I am not opposed to falling prices, but the fall in demand is the main reason -- people are driving less.  I suspect people are still working from home and using gas prices as an excuse to not go in, and as the article points out, much of the optional travel just isn't happening at $4.50 a gallon.  As I am fond of saying, think of the carbon emissions!

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/06/tim-ryan-turned-his-race-surprise-senate-battleground-00050187
Thank God!  I mean, this will still be too close for my comfort, but I suspect a combination of actually showing up, some ads, and some help -- Ron DeSantis is coming in on the 19th, and God-help-me I will be there -- this might just be enough.  The issue of course is that Ryan has defined himself... can it be undone?  Possibly.  Given the general economic situation, it shouldn't be that close, and if Vance had no money after the primary...that is a concern, albeit for another day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home